By the end of EYFS children will be able to:
- Use a range of colour and know how colours can be changed.
- Capture experiences and responses with a range of media.
- Know what happens when colours are mixed.
- Be able to select particular colours for a purpose.
By the end of Year 1 pupils will be able to:
- Use a variety of tools and techniques, including the use of different brush sizes and types.
- Mix and match colours to artefacts and objects.
- Create different textures e.g. use of sawdust, sand and plaster in paint.
- Identify primary and secondary colours and mix secondary colours using pre-mixed paint.
By the end of Year 2 children will be able to:
- Use a range of tools and techniques including layering, mixing media, scraping etc.
- Name different types of paint and their properties.
- Work on a range of scales e.g. large brush on large paper.
- Mix and match colours using artefacts and objects.
- Create different shades of colour by changing the tone using pre-mixed paint.
By the end of Year 3 children will be able to:
- Use colour related vocabulary e.g. monochrome, primary, secondary, tone and shade.
- Experiment with different effects and textures including block in colour, washes, thickened paint.
- Work with increasing confidence on a range of scales.
- Mix a variety of tones to create a monochrome painting.
By the end of Year 4 children will be able to:
- Show increasing independence and creativity within the painting process; justify media choice.
- Use more specific colour language e.g. tertiary, tint, hue.
- Plan and create different effects and textures; use different thicknesses of paintbrushes and paint to achieve variations in line, form, tone, colour, shape and pattern.
- Work with confidence on a range of scales.
- Experiment with water colour.
- Make and match colours with increasing accuracy including tertiary colours.
By the end of Year 5 children will be able to:
- Demonstrate a secure knowledge about primary and secondary, warm and cold, complementary and contrasting colours.
- Mix and work with complementary colours.
- Create imaginative work from a variety of sources.
- Choose paints and tools appropriate to the task.
By the end of Year 6 chidlren will be able to:
- Choose appropriate paint, paper and implements to adapt and extend their work.
- Work from a variety of sources including those researched independently.
- Show an awareness of how paintings are created (composition).
- Carry out preliminary studies, test media and materials and mix appropriate colours.
- Identify, mix and work with harmonious colours.