By the end of EYFS children will be able to:
- Capture experiences and responses with a range of media.
- Construct with a purpose in mind, using a variety of resources.
- Use simple tools and techniques competently and appropriately.
- Select tools and techniques needed to shape, assemble and join materials they are using.
By the end of Year 1 children will eb able to:
- Manipulate clay in a variety of ways e.g. rolling, kneading and shaping.
- Produce sculpture using a range of malleable media, especially clay.
- Manipulate for a purpose e.g. thumb and/or coil pot.
- Experiment with, construct and join recycled, natural and man-made materials.
- Explore shape and form.
By the end of Year 2 children will be able to:
- Build a textured relief tile.
- Experiment with, construct and join recycled, natural and man-made materials with confidence.
- Understand the basic care and safety of materials and tools.
By the end of Year 3 children will be able to:
- Join clay adequately and work reasonably independently.
- Construct a simple clay base for extending and modelling other shapes
- Make a simple papier-mâché object.
- Plan, design and make models.
By the end of Year 4 children will be able to:
- Make informed choices about the 3D technique chosen.
- Plan, design, make and adapt models.
- Show an understanding of shape, space and form.
- Talk about their work understanding that it has been sculpted, modelled or constructed.
- Use a variety of materials e.g. mod-roc, clay and wood.
By the end of Year 5 children will be able to:
- Describe the different qualities involved in modelling, sculpture and construction.
- Use recycled, natural and man-made material to create sculpture
By the end of Year 6 children will be able to:
- Work with clay including slabs, slips, mod-roc etc.
- Create a sculpture and construct with increasing independence.
- Use a mould as part of the creative process.